History of Pelham Hockey
“One of the outstanding characteristics of the team,” the Pelican yearbook reported about Pelham’s first hockey team in 1943, “is the evidence of great eagerness and zeal with which the team worked.” But with no artificial ice, play was dependent on the weather being cold enough to freeze nearby lakes. After that first year, there would be no PMHS hockey team the next year or again for more than 20 years.
Even once revived, it was mostly rec hockey scrounging for ice time and traveling for practice as far north as Connecticut and as far south as Long Island. It wasn't until Ed Witz joined as varsity coach in the mid-1980s and Ralph Merigliano got the Ice Hutch built in 1996/97 that Pelham had a local home rink and an official varsity hockey team.
Just two decades later, the PMHS Varsity Hockey Team were state champions first in 2016-17 and then again in 2021-22.
Pelham celebrated the 2021-22 victory with a parade up Wolfs Lane and Fifth Avenue on March 26, 2022. Watch a video of the parade here
Pelham Hockey Jerseys were once red and white as the team was called the "Red Wings." They were changed to the Pelham blue, white and gold when Ed Witz joined as coach.
Left: photo of the jersey of Chris Driscoll (courtesy of Chris Driscoll)