Homes on Park Lane

1357 Park Lane

Designed by architect Phillip Resnick in 1926, 1357 Park Lane is one of Pelham’s most outstanding examples of Tudor Revival architecture. The home is built of locally-quarried granite with a prominent stucco and half-timbered gable. Original steel casement and leaded and stained glass windows are all preserved, along with a rusticated slate roof. In addition to being architecturally significant, the home is also of historic importance. It was for many decades the home of Christopher & Helen Chenery and their children Hollis, Margaret and Helen (who was better known by her nickname, “Penny”). The Chenery Family is well-known for their ownership of Meadow Stable, which produced such thoroughbred race horses as Riva Ridge, First Landing and Secretariat. After Mr. Chenery’s death in January, 1973, Penny Chenery Tweedy assumed management of Meadow Stable and, against financial challenges, continued to train and race Secretariat to become the triple-crown winner that year. She made a cameo appearance in the 2010 film “Secretariat.” Prior to her death last September, she recalled in a telephone conversation her time living in the home. “I had a wonderful childhood growing up in Pelham,” she said, remembering how her father installed an elevator that still operates in the home. The house was sold in 1973 to the O’Reilly Family. Mrs. O’Reilly was a sister of the author and political commentator, William F. Buckley.

1424 Park Lane

America's architecture has been influenced, like most of our culture, by Great Britain. After a strong influence from France during the reign of Napoleon III in the late 1800s, by the turn of the century England had resumed its strong influence on and connections to America with many of the nouveau riche of the United States marrying into English nobility to save their great estates. As a result, by the 1920s, American Architecture had fully embraced and revived England’s “Tudor Style.” Fueled by the wealth made in the stock market, the style was dubbed “Stockbroker Tudor. Pelham lays claim to many homes in this Tudor style, but a standout is the home of Katy and Nick Loria at 1424 Park Lane. Built in 1928, the Loria’s home was designed in this style as demonstrated by its asymmetrical design, stucco and half-timbered facade, slate roof and prominent chimney. It boasts an enviable level property and impressive gardens on almost an acre of land. The home has an interesting history. It was long the home of Judge Vincent L. Broderick who was a senior judge of the Federal District Court for the Southern District of New York and served as New York City Police Commissioner appointed by Mayor Robert F. Wagner in May 1965. Judge Broderick led the police force through the blackout that blanketed the Northeast, through the biggest transit strike in the city’s history and the first visit by a Pope, Paul VI. His family, wife Sally and six children lived here until 2002.

Arthur L. Scinta, Town Historian


Mailing Address:
Pelham Town Hall, 34 Fifth Avenue, Pelham, NY 10803
Office Address:

Daronco Town House, 20 Fifth Avenue
Pelham, NY, 10803, US


© 2022 Pelham Town Historian